Tuesday, 17 October 2023 02:38

Economic contribution of tourism reaches US$2.79 billion as of september 2023

Written by Coralia Cuellar

The Ministerio de Turismo (MITUR) reported that as of september, international tourism spending amounted US$2.79 billion. In fact, for that same month, the country received 2.4 million international visitors, which represents a 27% growth compared to 2019.

This year is used as a reference because the pandemic caused a generalized drop in the sector, worldwide. Although El Salvador has managed to recover quickly, there are still countries that continue to bear the effects of that period.

In addition, the Tourism branch highlighted that 44 % of the international visitors come from the United States; 23 % from Guatemala; 15 % from Honduras. Most people, 56 %, preferred to enter by air. The other 44 % chose to enter by land.


The estimated daily expenditure per person is $167 and their stay ranges from two to three weeks. These data indicate that the quality of the services provided by businessmen motivates visitors to stay longer to enjoy all the beauties offered by the territory.

Regarding national tourism, MITUR detailed that a total of 7.8 million people visited tourist, cultural and natural public parks.


Translated by: A.M